April 13, 2010

an interview with jason jean of citizen couture.

Leigh Lezark

I've been fortunate enough to get the opportunity to interview the kind and talented Jason Jean of the up and coming street fashion website, Citizen Couture. Not only is his work inspiring, but so is his story. Before February of 2009, he was a tax professional working for a large public accounting firm. While his career was secure and practical, he was unhappy and had to deal with partial blindness that was the result of a medical trauma. Finally, he purchased his first DSLR camera in the Spring of 2008 and began to explore the creative side of him he had suppressed since childhood, leading to the creation of Citizen Couture. Since then, he's photographed everyone from well-dressed strangers on the street to bloggers to Anna Dello Russo and Miroslava Duma.


Miroslava Duma


Vika Gazinskaya


Q: Are there any 'looks' or styles in particular you are attracted to when taking photographs and what are your personal favorites when it comes to style?

A: There aren't particularly any looks or style that I look for. I may keep note of trends, but I generally like a cohesive & clean outfit. I think everyone has their own style and it's the confidence and ownership that they exude which attracts my attention.


Rumi Neely of fashiontoast


Barbie 50th Anniversary Fashion Show


Q: What are your aspirations for Citizen Couture?

A: I would love to be able travel more and photograph more people internationally during fashion events and outside of shows. My current goal is to make the transition to a full-time photographer. Although I can be somewhat shy, I enjoy meeting people and an extended goal of mine is to connect some of these people I meet. Social networking has become a very powerful tool in the last few years and I’m hoping to bring different social groups in fashion together.


Fan Bingbing


Anna Dello Russo


Q: And if you could have one wish come true, what would it be?

A: Well, besides achieving my goals, I would definitely wish a healthy life and hope that I sustain my vision throughout my years. In the event that I ever do become blind in the future, then I hope that I’ve been able to capture as many beautiful things and visit as many countries for me to remember.


Chantal of cocorosa

Also, many thanks to the lovely Katie of Fashion's Maven for presenting me with the One Lovely Blog Award!

19 comments:

CaterpillarInCouture said...

His photographs are Superb.This interview is very inspiring..Thank you for posting it.

Smiles
Jade Rich

CMA said...

that first photo is FABULOUS
you have a lovely blog, keep it up
thanks for sharing as always, darling!
and thanks for your kind comments

-cma
COSMICaroline.blogspot.com

Margaret said...

great interview!!
love his work :) xx

The Owl's Closet said...

he has such an amazing story! truly inspirational:) thank u for sharing this site and interview! thx also for dropping by my blog:)

TheOwlsCloset.blogspot.com

Jenny said...

Wow, I really love how he captures not only the clothes but the people in them!
Your blog is amazing! i'm following!

Hope you'll check out my blog and enter my giveaway!
http://jennysopencloset.blogspot.com/

Couture Carrie said...

Fantastic pics and interview, darling!

xoxox,
CC

M. and O. said...

Leigh Lezark is just AWESOME, we love her, she has an amazing style too !

ps: news

Kisses from France.
Olivia & Mariam





Http://daily-women.blogspot.com

Isquisofrenia said...

wow ,awesome interview, good work and love all this photos,very killer girls!!!

*Coco said...

love these great pictures :)

www.milchwolke.blogspot.com

Marta from With Love... said...

I adore his work...always so beautiful! Incredible interview :)

-Marta

Iva said...

fantastic interview!!

Trevor said...

Congratulations on the award and interview! Veeery cool =] Cant wait for the next post of you though!

michelle_ said...

these are great people snapshots !
MICHELLE || Glisters and Blisters

pixelhazard said...

Oh wow these photos and clothing have so much character. Love it!

that girl lucy said...

thankyou babe :) love the interview, it's pretty amazing he has only been in photography for a couple of years. and those photos of mirislava and rumi are perfect!

Adele said...

Inspiring :) Some great bloggers there :), Thanks for your comment, sorry you couldn't comment on my English blog and thanks for going out of your way to comment on my italian one. I have had a few problems with the comments and hopefully I have fixed it! If you could let me know if its working now that would be great! Great blog - adele

J. said...

Great interview, great photos! And such an inspiration!

Kim said...

Beautiful pictures !!

Jesa said...

ugh how amazing is Miroslava Duma!!?! I love, love her!

And your blog is lovely!
Following-hope you'll follow back if you like ;)